Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Consulate Appointment


Group Photo from today: Missing one family


Today we had our Consulate Appointment (CA) to get Robbie's Visa.
We boarded the bus with 9 other families and headed to the USA Consulate. We had to go to the 4th floor of the building and go through security. I forgot I had my blackberry in the backpack and they found it and took it from me. They gave me a number so that I could pick it up when we came back out. I have not turned it on since we left the states and forgot it was tucked away in a pocket. Sorry there are no photo's from today as they do not allow camera's in the consulate.
We waited in a room, they had some toys for the kids, and then when there were 12 families there we all stood, raised our right hand and took and oath for our kids. We then got called one family at a time to the window and handed them the packet with all our child's info and passport. Once we were all done we headed back to the bus and that is it. They will pick up his passport, with his visa, tomorrow afternoon. They will also give us a brown envelope with all his info that we will turn in to immigration when we land in Chicago. Robbie will officially be a US Citizen when we hit US soil!
When we got back to the hotel we had a group photo. For some reason one of the families was not there and one family only the Dad came as the little girl was ill.
We have a wonderful group of families and it was really awesome to go on this journey with them!
It rained all day today. It was a bit warmer but very cloudy and it got foggy as the day went on. I can hardly see the buildings across the street right now. We were hoping to go the park today but that didn't happen. Still better than all the snow I hear you are all getting at home! Derek is happy for that as it's coming up on the full moon and he is ready to do some coyote hunting.
This afternoon was really low key. We took a family nap and then went and found some supper: once again McDonald's. Derek and Robbie are in the tub as I write this and we are going to meet our friends from CA in the lounge for one last night of drinks and snacks.
Tomorrow we have most of the day free. We have to have our luggage packed and outside our door by 4:30 pm tomorrow afternoon and then they will take us to the train station. Our train leaves at 6:15 pm and it's a 2 hour train ride to Hong Kong. We will stay overnight at the airport hotel and then our flight to Chicago leaves at 11am on Friday. We will "time travel" back to the USA as we land in Chicago at 11:16 am on Friday. We have a long layover in Chicago but this is due to the fact that we have to go through customs and immigration. Our flight to CWA leaves at 5:30 pm and we should land at CWA at 6:30 pm on Friday March 2nd! Hopeing the snow stops by then!
It's going to be so nice to be back home!!! As one of the Dad's said today "It's going to be nice to get in my car and drive where I want, when I want and get what I want" I couldn't of said it better!
Please pray for safe travels for us and that Robbie tolerates the long plane ride ok!!
This may be my last post from China and I am not sure what tomorrow night will bring for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment